Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sensory - Hard Boiled Eggs

Easter will be J's first one with hard boiled eggs (again, I really don't like eating just eggs).  I decided to practice my egg making abilities (to which my husband said something to the extent of the whites tasting fine but the yolks were interesting...so, I guess it wasn't great?)

For science, I decided to give J a hard boiled egg to see what he'd do with it.

Here's what happened:



My goal for this experiment was to see if he:
1. Knew just by looking that this egg was different than the ones he puts in his cookies.
2. Can figure out how to peel the egg with his hands.
3. Likes the taste of a hard boiled egg.

The results:
1. Nope, he tried to crack it like any typical raw egg.
2. Nope, that was too complicated for him.  I'm barely able to do it.
3. In terms of taste, it wasn't a hit though his first response was, "I like it!" It quickly grew into, "I don't like it."

Things you can incorporate:
1. Talk about the different textures of the hard boiled egg (slimy/smooth white, gritty-like yolk)
2. Add flavor (salt/pepper/other favorite spices) - how did that change the taste?
3. Cook different style eggs and talk about the differences in cooking methods and outcomes (texture, taste, etc).

2 comments:

  1. I made hard boiled eggs for my kids today, and they shocked me by LOVING them! My 6yo was actually crying because I wouldn't let her have more than two eggs for lunch!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lucky you. That's exciting for a new food in the repertoire. At least eggs are healthy. We might try it again. We're making our own Easter egg dye this weekend, so we'll have more eggs for J to try. Maybe I'll perfect the hard boil egg by then.

      Delete